Thursday, September 23, 2010

Weeks 4 & 5

These past two weeks the kids and I have:

  • ...Completed our first read aloud from Core 3, The Secret of the Andes.  I enjoyed this book even though it was a little strange. The kids however have deemed it boring. 

  • Started CBS. I am so glad to be back. We are studying the book of Acts this year. It's going to be awesome. 

  • Quinn is reading The Hobbit and has completed several other books. Evelyn finished Squanto and a few others.

  • ...Started our next read aloud The Birchbark House which actually isn't from Sonlight but I wanted to read it anyways. So far so good.   

  • Read Pedro's Journal, placed Columbus in our timeline book and traced his route on our giant map.



 
  • ...Wrote lots of letters to family and friends.  What better way to practice handwriting, spelling, grammar, life skills and of course manners!

  • ...made some good progress in math. Quinn is finally up to completing an entire lesson a day. We were slowly working our way back into things. When he started complaining over having to do a half of a page of work I realized that we would be better off to just jump in all the way. 


  •  ...Completed two papers mini reports. Quinn wrote one on turtles and one on Sulcata Tortoises. (He got one for his birthday.) Evelyn chose to do one on Labradors and another on jungles. They each completed a key word outline, rough draft and final draft. In addition Quinn was required a who/which clause, 'ly' word and a quality adjective. Evelyn was required a who/which and 'ly'.
  • ...Mostly completed our Native American Dioramas.
Making the base of the terrain


Evelyn's has a river in the middle.

Paper Mache


Painting the base just so that no white will show through.

Evelyn made a weir in her river.

She even stuck some fish in her river before it hardened



Quinn's scene is at the edge of a Great Lake.




Evelyn painting her corn stalks for her "Three Sisters Garden"

Evelyn used a hair dryer to add waves and ripples to the top of the water as it hardened.



Quinn soldered some wires to a light bulb that he painted orange.





We ran out of E-Z Water so Quinn's lake is not filled yet.


Quinn did a great job soldering, wiring and designing his campfire.



Evelyn's Three Sisters Garden: corn, beans and squash (pumpkins)

6 comments:

the Curriers said...

i love reading your blog. it totally inspires me! we are only on our second week of school and it has been challenging just due to the number of students and the levels! i so love it though. i just may have some of my kids do a diorama like you guys did. any tips for me?
brianna is taking a highschool iew class but i cannot (even close) afford for the others to take it. how do you use iew for yours?
the comment section on your blog is probably not the place for all these questions but i got carried away!
maybe i'll message you on fb soon and ask all the questions i want!

Daisy said...

Wow! The Native American craft is AMAZING. Great job, kids!

Where in the world did you get the supplies like the easy water stuff?

Sounds like you are reading some great books also. Now I'm curious about the Andes one. LOL. I love conflicting opinions. :-D

Karen said...

Those dioramas are AMAZING! I'm very impressed with their handiwork---and your photography skills too.

Daisy, EZ Water is probably found with model supplies. I know we've bought a similar product for ds's model train layout. Check a hobby or large craft store.

Mandy in TN said...

Lovely, very nice dioramas! I'm looking forward to SL3+4 next year, but I don't think I can pull of such elaborate hands-on work. Great Job!

Robyn said...

WOW! Love the diorama! When I read your intro on the board I was not thinking of something so gorgeous! You almost need another name besides diorama! Love the campfire and the waves in the water!! I will certainly have to look into something like this when my kids are a bit older!

Bright Sky Mom said...

Another WOW response! I'm going to show this to my dd who has been wanting to make some countryside for a castle she built! :)
Lee (5wolfcubs)