Friday, November 13, 2009

Week 9 - Sick Again!

I got hit with yet another cold this week. I don't feel like I ever really recovered from the last cold as I still have coughing spurts some nights and my temp seems to go up a bit when that happens. That has been happening for a month so I finally decided to go to the doctor. Of course she put me on an antibiotic. Did I really think she would have some other idea? I am happy that so far my children seem to be staying healthy.

We still got a surprising amount of school work done considering I was sick again. We stayed home from CBS. I had a friend bring the kids to co-op, another friend took charge of the kids at co-op and playgroup and my dear husband picked them up from playgroup so I could have some quiet time to rest.

Bible: We missed CBS but continued our Bible study to the next week's lesson. We watched Martin! God Loves You. I had planned to watch it for Reformation Day but never got to it. We resumed our reading of the Bible by starting Exodus. I read several chapters to make up for lost time. We are using Day By Day Kids Bible for this.

MATH: Quinn is working on rounding in 4A. He completed exercise 7. Evelyn completed review work and practiced on Rainbow Rock. Evelyn and I played with the base ten set.

Spelling/Dictation: List 21. The kids did all of their dictation this week.

Vocabulary: Both kids consider vocabulary to be a favorite subject nowadays. We managed to do two words this week. I was going to ax it altogether while I was sick just to keep things simple but that idea caused an uproar.

Science: We watched National Geographic: Inside the Living Body (during dinner!) hmmm...I had to pause it during the part on the digestive system while we finished our dinner. It was just too much for me. Then we finished it.

History: Read Usborne Time Traveler: Knights, Chapter 52 in CHOW , First few pages in Castle Diary. We also watched David Macaulay's Castle.

Reading: Evelyn finished Ramona and Her Mother. Quinn Finished Farmer Boy and Lama in the Family.

Read Aloud: We started Twenty One Balloons. Actually Daddy read the first three chapters to them since my voice was not up for it by the end of the evening. Now I need to catch up! It is supposed to be a good book!

Geography. Quinn LOVES his new geography book. He did several lessons this week that involved following a series of directions to make a map in a precise manner. He did very well.

Cursive: Evelyn was getting bored just practicing the letters so I let her skip ahead to some of the word and sentence pages. That made her happy.

Art: By golly we are going to do art today!

Co-op : The kids missed their morning classes as they had to hitch a ride from a friend of mine whose kids do not take morning classes. In drawing Quinn finished his painting. Evelyn painted a picture in her art class also. In rockets class Quinn made his own rocket to be launched next week!

The only field trip we did this week was a trip to the hospital for my doctor visit. While we sat in the waiting room the kids were wide eyed looking at all of the mask covered faces. Presumably H1N1 infected people. We had lunch in the cafeteria afterward which is always exciting! I was just happy to be getting out of the house. Despite what many non-homeschoolers think, we actually are not used to spending a lot of time at home.

No comments: