Saturday, November 7, 2009

week 8

It feels like it should be week nine! But alas it is only week eight. We took a field trip on Wednesday to Old Sturbridge Village for their fall Homeschool Day.

Bible:
The kids have been doing a good job of getting their CBS work done every week! We are still reading about Abraham. Quinn memorized some verses for his public speaking class. We watched disc 2 of ISRAEL: A Journey Through Time.










Math:
Quinn started the first two lessons of Singapore 4A. Evelyn did lessons 34-36 and Review 2 in 1b. We listened to Skip Count Kid 3's and 4's. The songs are sticking which is helping her learn the multiplication problems. Soon I may start doing Times Tales with her.


Read Aloud: started Minstrel in the Tower. A tad fluffy for me. It reminded me of a Magic Treehouse book. Luckily it was short and we read it very quickly. we read about Afghanistan in Windows of the World. It was great because they got to see one of their vocab words, guerrillas, being used!

History: We read Chapter 50 in CHOW on Castles. Did a keyword outline from the chapter summary in the back of the IG.

Geography: I added in geography this week for Quinn. I ordered the book Discovering World Geography Grades 4-5. We received it Friday morning. He was very excited and completed the first 3 activities. looks like it will be a hit for him.

Dictation: list 20 had such words as among, front, second etc.. I was really worried that my non-speller boy would be constantly sticking the letter u in those words but he did quite well. However, I did lose my patience a few times as he continues to spell the word like that: t-h-e-t and get: g-i-t. I have to remind myself that he has made great improvements. Just the fact that he can write a whole page of dictation every day is amazing. And his spelling mistakes are minimal compared to last year. It is hard though as a natural speller, to not get completely frustrated with the same mistakes over and over.


Science: We are on bones again this week.I ordered The Body Book but unfortunately my printer ink dried up so we were unable to do the models this week. We did however do the standard chicken bone in vinegar experiment. The kids enjoyed grossing out their father with the bendy bone on Friday. I guess we will spend an extra week on bones so we can make the model.

Art: We worked on the practice lessons H-M which included adding "meat" to stick figures, train tracks, straight lines and circles etc...





Vocabulary: We only did one new word this week. But we also played a memory game where the kids had to match word to definition of all the words we have done so far. To make it more exciting I added Halloween candy under the cards which they could get if they made a match. I was very lucky that the kids pretty much evened out with their matches. it could have gotten ugly otherwise!

Reading: Quinn is reading Farmer Boy and Evelyn is still working on Ramona and Her Mother

Co-op: Nothing incredibly exciting to note this week... The kids enjoyed their classes as usual

Other: Quinn and his dad have been having a lot of fun on this website building widgets. The solved some puzzles together to earn extra pieces.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Love that bone experiment ... I have never seen that! I'll definitely have to put that in my files for next time around! Looks like school is fun at your house! ;)