Friday, October 16, 2009

Week 5

I spent this week sick as a dog. Unfortunately I don't get sick time. Life went on as usual.
We even had a lovely hike together on Monday. The only thing I didn't do was CBS. I sent the kids with a friend.

Math:
I ordered Singapore 4A workbook and IG. He will be done with 3A within the next two weeks. I have been giving him some extra multiplication and long division problems in addition to the relatively easy workbook lessons. I really wouldn't want him to forget that stuff.
Evelyn is understanding place value better. I busted out my RightStart place value cards. (I am so glad I kept them!) and had her make numbers for me. I then asked her to tell me what number was in such and such place. It was fun for her and she kept asking everybody to give her a number to make all day. So nice to have a child who is easily motivated!

Spelling/Dictation:
List 18 Spelling Plus . We did paragraphs this week. The sentences are noticeably longer now.




















Vocabulary: We added this in this week. I ordered Vocabulary Cartoons Elementary edition. I had seen the high school version a long time ago and really like the concept. I didn't know that it came in an elementary edition until recently. I figure we will do one Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. We did the first three this week. After looking at the cartoon together I had them write the word in their book, come up with their own sentence about it and draw their own picture. They seemed to enjoy this. Even Quinn didn't complain too much about the additional writing.














History: Sonlight is still on Vikings. I ordered a couple videos from Netflix since my kids both already read the corresponding Time Traveler pages. We watched Globe Trekker Iceland and Greenland. This had a tad about vikings but mostly just showed what the lands are like now. I also ordered Nova: Vikings. The kids only watched half of this since it was late. My husband and I watched the rest and decided they probably didn't need to watch the rest of it. It got a little graphic about human sacrificing and some other things. I probably wouldn't have minded if they saw it but there wasn't going to be enough time for the next few days and I figured why hold up the Netflix queue?? I think the Imax Vikings video was much better and less graphic.
We also read Eric the Red and Leif the Lucky and did the SOTW Vikings Map work.

Science: Week two of science we read about DNA. We read Have a Nice DNA. We made some DNA from Twizzlers and multicolored marshmallows. The different colored marshmallows stood for the different chemicals and we had to match them up appropriately. This project is free here. We followed this up with the DVD Unlocking the Mysteries of Life. It was the perfect compliment not only to the science topic but also to the chapter in The Case For Faith that Quinn and I are reading together on how the language of DNA points to a creator.














Bible: I have started doing the writing for Quinn's lesson for him. I have him look up the verses and give me the answers. He was so overwhelmed by the amount of writing in the junior book that he was dreading doing his Bible study. I really don't want that. I want him to enjoy it. I also don't want him truncating his answers so that he has less to write. I want him to be thoughtful about the answers no matter how long it might be. He has always enjoyed learning about God in the past and I don't want to ruin that. He has to write for several other subjects and that is enough for now. Evelyn is in the primary class and that book requires less writing but of course she loves to write so it wouldn't matter anyways.

Read Aloud: Still on Ginger Pye. I was sick all week and even lost my voice for several days which made it hard to do a lot of reading out loud. Jonathan did do two chapters so we didn't get too far behind. We also did our other standard read alouds. Windows of the World this week was about Animism and Buddhism which made for some GREAT conversation.

Co-op
Art: Yes
Drawing: yes
Dance: yes
Public Speaking: This week Quinn had to do an extemporaneous speech. His was about whether or not our town should ban dogs from being on the bike path. His memorization was great and he had great volume and even used a hand motion or two.
Rockets: The kids started building their first set of water bottle rockets.
Sign Language: Evelyn learned a song about colors and has been practicing the color signs with that song.
Orchestra: The kids were supposed to make an instrument at home to bring in. Evelyn made a rain stick and then put paper mache over it. She still needs to paint it.



2 comments:

JoAnn said...

It sounds like you and your kids had a fun week despite you being sick. I love the rainmaker and DNA. I might steal those crafts for my kids even though they don't go with our studies. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Nice DNA models. My kids made molecule models last year with toothpicks and styrofoam balls, but they kept breaking the toothpicks because the balls were so hard. Marshmallows are a good idea.